Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Without Arvel We are Nothing

Guess what night it is?

Tuesday night. And if you run in our circle, that means it's movie night. But not tonight. Because despite my spending a full half hour today in the video store (Lost Weekend is my store of choice these days, mostly because of proximity) deliberating over what to show, when 9 o'clock came around (9:15 really, I know everyone is slow), nobody buzzed our door. Sadness.

This sad state of affairs begs the question, what went wrong? Firstly, Arvel is out of town. That means that he isn't around to encourage his housemates and hangers-on to come, or to bring beer and such. Secondly, I fear that as Brett put it "there is something wrong about movie night." He argued that at movie night he is surrounded by friends, but can't interact with them because there's a movie playing. Thirdly, maybe nobody likes SLC Punk?

So, I open this to the audience (thought it is likely just my roommies that are reading this, who come every week out of inertia), what needs to change about movie night? Is there a movie you think will bring the droves? Should we just show cartoon shorts and then have time to talk to each other? Should I chain Arvel to our couch so that you all are forced to come over here once a week and visit him? Let me know.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I got it - we can take turns tooling around the internet and projecting from our laptops. People can discuss whether what the googler/yahooer is looking at is interesting or not.

Or we can talk about who we like the most. Or we can listen to our five stars. Or we can trade bits of gossip

mb said...

like last night when no one would share ANY GOSSIP? jesus. even my lab is gossippier, and that is not saying very much.

L2K said...

I just want to say this post is not completely accurate. 3 people came. That's .75 friends per person.

Dan Gingold said...

maybe have it every other week. 4 times a month is a lot. also, it's nicer to talk to yer friends then just sit silently in the same room with them. you should have a potluck or something social instead, maybe alternating.